Friday, January 25, 2008

NFL's Best Ever?

There is a lot of relatively meaningless discussion going on about whether or not this years New England Patriots are the best NFL team ever. I am actually of the opinion that they are probably not, both in relative and actual terms. That said, on any given day, they could beat any time in history.

It is unfair to look at today's teams in actual terms versus earlier teams. Modern teams are much bigger and much better conditioned. The cut-off line that I've used in my head is about 1995 for the modern era. Thus, it is realistic to compare today's teams to a team that played in 1995 or thereafter. Comparing today's teams to those that played prior to that year can only be done in relative terms (e.g. compared to how those teams stacked up against the competition of their time).

Looking at it in relative terms, the teams from prior to 1995 that were the strongest -- in my humble opinion -- were the 1985 Bears, the 1972 Dolphins, and the 1978 Steelers. The strongest team in actual terms post-1995 was the Broncos of 1998. Any of these teams could play with this years Patriots -- in relative or actual terms as appropriate -- and be expected to win. This is not to say that these Patriots would not be justified in their head-to-head victories as well.

This has been a fun season to watch the Patriots. They are undeniably awesome. With my wife and so many friends being from New England, I'll be rooting for them in the Super Bowl.

Steve Greenberg of the Sporting News has an article today on this same topic. He outlines much the same argument that I have, and while including all of the teams that I've mentioned, his undoubtedly greater knowledge expands the list. I'm not sure where Greenberg would draw the line for the modern era, but I'd be interested to find out.

Now, if only the country put this much energy into health care, government accountability, and choosing its leaders...

25 January 2008

No comments: