Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Whole Foods: The Empire

I tend to enjoy Whole Foods. Their stores are attractive and their food is well presented. While most of the food isn't locally grown, which is too bad in my opinion, the stores do offer a lot of organic food. It isn't my first choice for food shopping, but I'm generally happy to shop there when necessary.

Whole Foods is surely "Big Business" and while they do their best to maintain an aura of healthful, pro-consumer practices, they are in a competitive field where every dollar counts. Several months ago, Whole Foods announced its intention to purchase competitor Wild Oats Market, another market I often frequent. This deal has come under increasing scrutiny by the Federal Trade Commission and may not go through. What is illustrative is exactly why the deal raises alarm bells. Whole Foods really isn't the touchy-feely market they want you to believe that they are.

18 July 2007

No comments: