Thursday, July 12, 2012

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call My Maybe



So, this song has become a phenomenon, both as music and as video extravaganza.  I linked to it before I knew this to be true.  Indeed when I saw the Harvard baseball team do their video, that was the first time that I'd heard the song.  (I'm always late to the party these days.)  The best part about the official video is that the hunk in it turns out to be gay.  Well done, Jepsen!  However, it is the myriad videos that this song has spawned that have become a bit of a dirty pleasure for me.  Everyone -- well everyone except me -- seems to have done a video to this song.

It started with Justin Bieber and his "parody" made the song take off world wide.  Say what you want about that kid -- and I'm still not sure if I've ever actually heard a song of his -- but he's money in the music business.


Katy Perry did a white trash, low rent version that is not work posting here.  But it is not just the famous.

There are "cake videos" both cheese and beef.  





And the parodies have parodies.  The original Harvard video has spawned imitators.







Hell, even Colin Powell got into the act during a commercial break on CBS This Morning.


Where will the madness stop?

12 July 2012


Addition 2 August 2012: The 2012 Olympic swim team has gotten into the act, making a fun video that includes many members of the team.  The women obviously have better rhythm than the men and Missy Franklin is a stand-out.



Addition 24 August 2012: My sister sent another video for the post.  Animals are getting into the act!

Adopt Me, Baby! (Call Me Maybe Parody) from New Hampshire SPCA on Vimeo.


6 November 2012 Addition:  Cookie Monster is on board.



.

No comments: