Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Burma Help

I'm sure that most of you are watching the horrific situation unfolding in Burma with the same sense of building dread that I am. It is a tragedy made all the worse -- daily -- by a corrupt and uncaring government. No doubt that we all want to help in some way. To that end, I'm going to pass on some information that was sent to me by my sister and to her from one of her friends from college, who has no small background in such matters.

I have been asked by several friends about how to help the devastation in Burma. I thought I would share it with everyone, since today's stories of seized aid are particularly disturbing.

*Foundation for the People of Burma (FPB)* is a trusted organization that is already on the ground distributing supplies, despite direct threats from local government officials. I have worked with their staff personally and trust them wholeheartedly. For years, FPB staff have risked their lives to serve the people of Burma; this is not the first time they have had to stand up to the authorities. You can read more about it on their website.

In times like these, it is difficult to know which organizations you can trust. In my opinion, supporting a grassroots organization like FPB--one that employs Burmese people who know the ins and outs of the country-- is crucial. It also helps for regulatory purposes that they are incorporated in the U.S. and completely transparent with the use of their funds.

Thank you for considering directing your support to them. Thank you, also, for forwarding this to anyone in your network who might be interested in this recommendation.

13 May 2008

No comments: