Thursday, May 21, 2015

Goodbye to David Letterman

I have to admit that I haven't seen a complete episode of Letterman's show about twenty years.  That was actually about the time that I cared enough to see it live on a trip to New York.  (Glenn Close and James Taylor were the guests.  Google tells me that was 20 September 1993.)  In my younger years, late night TV was more appealing.  Now, while I enjoy watching the occasional clip on the Internet, I have very little interest in the mainstream network offerings.  That is in spite of actually liking their hosts a great deal.

The exception to my late night watching has been Jon Stewart and until recently Stephen Colbert.  I started out watching The Daily Show mostly live and in the last ten years, I've always watched it taped the next day.  There are so many more fun options for my time than watching almost any TV program live.

With all this said, I am still a little nostalgic with David Letterman retiring.  He's like that uncle you don't often see, but will miss once he's gone.

I'll watch his final show tonight and yes, that means it is taped at home.  There may be clips that I'll post of it here later.  For now, however, I've found the tributes to him by his peers worthwhile.  All of them not only remark on his talent and inventiveness, but most seem to have a sense of personal devotion to Letterman stemming from some kindness he once showed them.  I like that.

Jimmy Fallon



Jimmy Kimmel



Conan O'Brien



Jon Stewart



Stephen Colbert



.

21 May 2015

No comments: