Monday, July 15, 2013

The Eddie Murphy Rule

From Robert Smith of Planet Money at NPR:

It's been 30 years since Trading Places came out. And, to be honest, I never really understood what happened at the end of that movie. Sure, Louis Winthorpe (Dan Aykroyd) and Billy Ray Valentine (Eddie Murphy) get rich, and the Duke brothers lose all their money. But what actually happens? How does it work?
I recently talked to Tom Peronis, a guy who has spent years trading OJ options. He walked me through every step of Winthorpe and Valentine's plan.
I loved this movie as a kid.  (I still love it.)  At the time, I didn't have any idea what the heck happened at the end either.  So I read until I understood it.  Some years later, I was having a conversation with one of my grandfathers about wheat futures.  It was this research that allowed me to follow that conversation and better understand the work that he'd been doing in his career.  Thanks, Eddie and Dan!

You can see the entire explanation of the happenings at the end of Trading Places here.  The movie's page at IMDB can be found here.

A big thanks to my sister for the heads up.  Does anything not make me feel old now?

15 July 2013

No comments: