Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gay Rights & The Supreme Court

A writing today on TPM outlines what I think is pretty much spot-on analysis of the likely outcomes of the cases this week before the Supreme Court dealing with gay rights.  While there absolutely is a guarantee for gay rights -- and within that for gay marriage (e.g marriage) -- within the American Constitution, I am not hopeful that Justice Kennedy will affirm these rights broadly.  I'd put that chance at about 15%.  I figure there is a 70% chance that any pro-gay rights ruling will apply only to California in the Prop 8 case.  The other 15% is for an 8-state gay rights ruling, but that is less likely if the DOMA ruling is on a state's rights footing as seems likely.  Regardless, I think there is about a 90% likelihood that DOMA is dead, which is good.

I hope that I will be surprised and that my country will morally leap forward.  It would, unfortunately, be a surprise.

28 March 2013

No comments: