Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Disaster Management

My wife sent this message that came from the person responsible for disaster planning at her place of work regarding the supposed December 2012 end-of-the-world.  It included the photo.  Classic!


Greetings Disaster Management Team,

I saw the latest weather forecast; and was wondering if we should have a quick meeting of the disaster management team. I don’t want to alarm people before the holidays; but if we do see increasing severe weather today with falling asteroids and climbing temperatures, here’s the plan:
·         Shelter in place – all staff should gather in the cooler. I will monitor the inside and outside temperatures.
·         If the outside temp exceeds 450º and the inside cooler temp exceeds 175º – all staff should then move into the freezer.
·         After that (and in complete departure from my normal character) I don’t, actually, have a plan……………….
·         I love you all.  J



This video was also linked, but I'm not sure if it was part of the message that was sent or simply included by Google.  Either way, it is funny.


As an aside, the world went crazy over nothing and I'm not simply speaking about the world still being very much here.  Rather, it is because the Mayan calendar was read incorrectly.  The date everyone feared last month was not intended to signify the end of the world or anything else scary.  Rather, it was simply the end of the way that this society quantified time day-to-day, week-to-week, and year-to-year.  As I heard an expert say, it was like the odometer on your car.  At 999,999 it rolls over and starts again.  Your car doesn't disappear or stop working.  This is what the Mayan calendar was designed to do as well.

2 January 2013

No comments: