Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lamson & Goodnow Knives

My wife and I took a day trip over the holiday weekend and visited the factory of Lamson & Goodnow.  I love to cook and while my skills are not up to the level of my tools, I do love to use high-quality knives.  I've always used German or Japanese knives, but that may be changing.

Lamson is the oldest knife manufacturer in the United States.  Indeed, they provided cutlery to the White House for President Grant and they still manufacturer their wares in the same factories built in 1850.  Their knives are beautiful and I purchased two to test, a 6" utility knife and a 6" boning knife.  I chose their "Fire" line, which features acrylic handles instead of wood.  This allows the knives to be much more water resistant to the point that soaking in water is allowed, something I would never do with my fine wooden-handled knives.

I like them so much that I plan to purchase two others... to start!  :-)

Prices on their web site match suggested retail for merchants.  However, at the factory I paid 25% less.  Shelburne Falls is a lovely town in which to spend a day, so I recommend the drive.  You won't be disappointed.

31 May 2011

No comments: