Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hillary's Convention Speech

Since our travel to Denver prevented me from blogging on the DNC convention during the middle portion of the event, I'll need to go back and hit on the high points as I find the time in the coming days. Regarding day two of the convention, I thought that Hillary Clinton gave what may have been the best speech of her political career. She was funny and personable and looked relaxed and comfortable. What is more, she seemed to resist the temptation to yell, which is so often what I think is her downfall as a public speaker. If this had been the Hillary Clinton that was present on the campaign trail for the past year-plus, she'd have done much better in her primary race against Obama.

Regarding Obama, she hit all the right notes to put to rest the idea that she didn't back him for the presidency. Sure, it may -- or may not -- all just have been talk. Regardless, it was words that helped bring her convention folks in line, especially after Michelle Obama's speech from the night before. And to those who said that she was just going through the motions, I'll recount a snippet from the Charlie Rose program that I saw the evening of Hillary's speech. A woman on Rose's panel, whose name I can't recall, said something to the effect of "only in politics do we castigate people for doing what we try to teach our childen... to act like adults and play nice even when they don't always want to." Exactly.

31 August 2008

No comments: