Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Death in the Family

My paternal grandmother passed away this past Sunday. I got the news from my father while visiting my maternal grandparents. My grandmother had been failing for some time and much more rapidly of late. Her memory was worsening steadily and that, mixed with the fact that she was a terrible patient, did not help matters. I was hoping that when the time finally came, she would pass quietly, without a traumatic incident. Alas, this was not to be. She fell trying to go the the restroom by herself -- obstinate woman! -- and broke her right hip. Surgery was not an option and to keep her free from pain, painkillers were administered such that she was kept more or less sedated for the final day or two of her life. That is a blessing, I think, but a sad one.

We will travel to the funeral this weekend. I'm planning to speak at it and I think that in planning that, I'll get my head around this loss. I loved my grandmother, but she was very often a hard woman to like. That said, she was with me for all of my years heretofore and that alone makes it a hard loss. It is good indeed to have a loving wife and romping kittens in times such as these.

I will miss her and I loved her. I do hope that she is now in a better place. /salute

In response to my grandmother's death, I will say this: Keep your bones strong! My grandmother was a slip of a woman. She never gave any thought, even in her later years, to her health, including the health of her bones. It showed and bone breaks in her later years only sped her demise and made it more uncomfortable. Don't let that happen to you. Do whatever you need to make sure that your bones and muscles are strong throughout your life, even in your elderly years.

29 August 2007

No comments: